An everyday blog

by a not-so-everyday Mama.

Monday, February 8, 2010

You are my gateway drug, you pull me down, you mess me up.

Got a tetanus shot this morning. Now my arm feels like someone punched me as hard as they could. On the plus side, Paul and I have a family doctor now. We went and met with her this morning. She's young-ish, and nice. She wants me to make an appointment for a pap test and a full medical, which is a good thing, I guess, since I haven't had a pap test in two years and have never had a full medical. But still, I am hesitant. Paul has to go get bloodwork done and then a full medical, as well. She's more hesitant than I am. We're such babies.

I have a new morning routine, and it makes me happy. Usually, we wake about at about 10am, I get dressed, brush my teeth and then go downstairs to pack Paul's lunch and make coffee. He sits around in his PJs and watches Let's Make a Deal, then Price is Right, right up until the first spinning of the wheel. Then, he realizes that he's running late (every morning!) and then hurries upstairs to get dressed and then rushes out the door.

Once he's gone off to work, I usually watch the rest of Price is Right and then make lunch, get some unpacking done (though it's basically done now) and do some facebooking, nesting, blogging, and so on - with my laptop down in the living room. Well, not today. Today, I'm up in the office. Yesterday morning, Paul and I drove 45 mins to pick up my new desk, which someone was selling on Kijiji for $50. The same desk at Walmart is $99 plus tax. Here she is:



Here's Paul's desk, on the opposite wall:



Now I'm sitting here, feeling wide awake (thanks, coffee) and a little bit more like a grown up. And I really like not sitting in front of the TV, even though I barely watch it - I always put on A Baby Story and live vicariously through them for a few minutes each day. And no, I don't want to talk about when we're going to start trying for a baby. Paul changes his mind every day.

Back to all things house-y (did you the like the way I changed the subject, there?). Here's the final picture of the new coffee table, with the baskets underneath. One basket has dog toys, the others are empty at the moment:



And here's a picture I took of our backyard, from inside the house. It's long and narrow, but it's fenched (sort of) and it's ours, which is all that matters. And yes, our snow is fading slowly. When we moved in, the snow in the backyard was up to the top of my boots. Now the back part of the yard doesn't even have snow. Spring soon?



Oh, and Paul let me buy the new laundry hamper that I posted the other day. It was $35 and though technically not an essential item right away, I really wanted it. So, now it lives in our bedroom. I even put it together myself.



I used the new vacuum for the first time last evening. It's fantastic (though anything would be, compared to my old one) and I filled the container by just doing the living room carpet and the couches. Tomorrow's job will be the stairs and the upstairs. I like vacuuming, when it actually works. Who would have thought? On the same note, I'm sick of re-washing (well, rinsing) dishes after they come out of the dishwasher. Does anyone have an insight on this? Better detergent? Kthx.

3 comments:

  1. i *love* your coffee table! and I'm glad you have your own desk :) it's a staple, in my opinion... suppose I should get myself one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the coffee table too. It's small (so it doesn't get filled with junk) yet very useful.
    My desk is awesome and functional. And a steal for $50!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too, love the table. it's gorgeous AND functional! you're a better person than me for investing in the laundry sorter. all ours gets thrown into one basket. haha

    ReplyDelete