An everyday blog

by a not-so-everyday Mama.

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Boycotting New Years?

Or a romantic night in with my husband?

Paul left for work two hours ago, and I told him to come home as soon as he could (it'll be after 9pm). He said "Why, so we can stay home and sit around on New Year's Eve?" I said, "Would that be so bad?" He answered with, "Whatever, let's just boycott New Years."

Paul is used to partying it up on New Year's eve with a whole bunch of his friends. Three years ago (our first New Year's as a couple), I lived in Toronto and spent it with a couple friends there, while he spent it here in Kitchener with his friends, at a party. Two years ago, we spent the evening together but went from party to party to be sure to see all of his friends - it was alot of running around and not that much fun for me. Last year, I worked all night, and rung in the New Year with co-workers at the restaurant. This year, I'll be perfectly happy spending it at home with my husband, our dogs and some wine. I hope Paul will come around on this idea, as well.

I'm now planning out the evening in my head. Maybe I'll light some candles and put on a sexy dress and cook dinner - I'd like to at least make it a New Year's that he'll remember, rather than one that he'll shrug off as boring and forgetable. It is our first New Year's Eve as a married couple.

My 2009 Breakdown

January
- I was excited/freaked out that the wedding eight months away
- Does not feel like this was 12 months ago!

February
- Valentine's Day was nice, we realized it was our last as "single" people
- Seven months to the wedding, started buying center pieces, decorations for the wedding

March
- My mom came to visit as early birthday present, she bought me Wii Fit!
- We sat in the dark for an hour for Earth Hour at the end of the month
- We started looking for a new place to live, went to look at a few townhouses

April
- My 23rd birthday happened, I worked on the actual day, we celebrated that weekend at Phil's
- Five months til the wedding, coming up fast

May
- Our wedding party hosted our Stag and Doe, it was tons of fun and I got a little too drunk and acted very silly
- Paul and I went home to Thunder Bay for my first Wedding Shower with my friends and family

June
- We got Olivia, our beautiful Boston Terrier
- Our friends Nicole and Alex got married
- TWO months until our own wedding

July
- We went away for a week to Sauble Beach, it was relaxing and so nice to get away from wedding planning and stress
- Had my second Wedding Shower with Paul's side of the family and friends here in Kitchener

August
- SO much to do, so little time. Wedding Month!
- Bachelor/bachelorette parties
- My family and friends came in from Thunder Bay and other places the week of August 8th
- Our wedding August 15th, the most amazing day of the year (and my life)

September
- Started planning Cookie and Ashley's Stag and Doe
- Enjoying being newlyweds
- Glad to be stress-free and married, it was nice to have the wedding planning behind us

October
- Cookie and Ashley's stag and doe!
- Halloween (Paul and I were zombie doctor and nurse, Ruby was a doctor and Olivia was a bumble bee!)
- Got the marriage certificate in the mail, started the name-change process

Novemeber
- Started planning for Christmas
- Stressing now about getting our passports in time for our trip in January (always stressing, it seems)


December
- The month flew by
- We got our passports
- Finished Christmas shopping
- Paul and I went to Thunder Bay for early Christmas with my family
- Christmas Eve and Christmas Day celebrated with Paul's family
- Boxing day (we got our new TV and home theatre system)
- New Year's TONIGHT (not yet celebrated)

I probably forgot some things, though these are the important events that I can think of off the top of my head. Not sure if 2010 can top 2009, but I know what the highlight of the year will (hopefully) be. I'll give you a hint: it will involve something growing in my belly!

Happy New Year's Eve everyone!

2 comments:

  1. I vote you put on an apron to cook dinner... and nothing else! Sean is working until 10 tonight, so we're staying in tonight... and will most likely be passed out by midnight.

    I think my 2009 recap would be very similar to yours, with all the wedding planning and bridal events and such.

    Cheers to a new year, darlin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, Mandee you're hilarious.

    Happy New Year to you hun!

    ReplyDelete