An everyday blog

by a not-so-everyday Mama.

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Another recipe post!

Every Saturday, Paul and I go out to the Farmer's Market. Sometimes we just go to walk around, have lunch and check stuff out. Usually, I end up bringing home a couple bags of vegetables. This past weekend I got alot, including butternut squash, onions, red peppers, tomatoes and zucchini.

My plan was to make muffins and dog treats with the zucchini, and soup with the rest. So far, I made a cheesy potato and onion soup, yesterday. Today, I plan on making another batch of my favourite butternut squash soup. I found the recipe online and modified it a bit to suit my needs and to use up some stuff I had here already.

Here's my new recipe, that I made up:

Butternut Squash Soup, with Potato

Ingredients:
2 TBSP unsalted butter
1 onion, chopped fine
3 lbs butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced
3 med potatos, peeled and diced
3 cups veggie chicken stock broth
1 TSP thyme
1 TSP nutmeg
2 TSP minced ginger
1/2 cup heavy cream
Pinch of salt and pepper

Preparation:
1. Melt the butter in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about five minutes. Stir in the squash and potato, broth, and seasonings. Bring to a simmer and cook until squash is tender, about twenty minutes.

2. Puree the soup in batches in a blender or food processor until smooth.

3. Return the pureed soup to the pot. Stir in the cream. Bring to a brief simmer, then remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste before serving.



Mmm, I know what I'm having for lunch again today. I love fall, and soup!

2 comments:

  1. sounds yummy! wish I was there to enjoy a bowl with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you were, too. It's sooo good!

    ReplyDelete